This blog is about the world of gaming miniatures, as seen from my perspective. I've been collecting and painting for over 30 years now, and while my primary focus is miniatures for D&D, I also enjoy many other games that use minis, so we'll be covering those as well. Thanks for stopping by!

Friday, April 19, 2013

The Great Sro - An Impressive Dragon From The Legions of the Petal Throne

The Great Sro: Some Assembly Required

I recently picked up a large dragon that I couldn't readily identify, but still looked at least somewhat familiar - you know when you've seen something at least once, but you just can't put your finger on it? So after some poking around on LMW and SoL to no avail, I stopped by leadpoisoned.com and found what I was looking for: NH-005, the Great Sro armed with sword from the Legions of the Petal Throne line of miniatures.

This line appears to have been sold under several brands - The Old Guard, Murray Miniatures, and eventually Ral Partha. Mine says copyright 1975 T.O.G. - T.S.R. inside the right half and SRO by Murray inside the left half. I'm assuming TOG stands for The Old Guard.

Sro is pretty big hunk of lead, weighing in at almost 1 pound 9 ounces. He measures 9" from snout to tail, and each wing is 6.25" so his wingspan when assembled should be around 13.5" or so. I wasn't able to Bing/Google any particulars about Sro, so I'm pretty much in the dark about his background, stats, or how he fits into the grand scheme of all things Tekumel.

The pose isn't terribly dynamic, as all six legs are pretty much lined up the same. Where it does shine a bit is the arms: the left arm pointing right at YOU! and the right arm brandishing a nasty-looking sword that could be metal or could be a flaming sword. The overall sculpt is very nicely done and just screams old-school from just about any angle. The snout has a unique look, almost as if covered by a piece of plate armor. The only downside is he appears to be missing one of his two curved horns.

Overall, the Great Sro is a very, very cool dragon for your Empire of the Petal Throne or other fantasy game. I'll most likely trade or sell this magnificent fella, as I have no plans on starting a Legions of the Petal Throne collection.

1 comment:

David Wood said...

What a great find. Just doing the google fu for some DT minis and this popped up. Almost got one year back. Would you mind I I posted the pic on the Lost Minis WIKI?