This blog is about the world of gaming miniatures, as seen from my perspective. I've been collecting and painting for over 30 years now, and while my primary focus is miniatures for D&D, I also enjoy many other games that use minis, so we'll be covering those as well. Thanks for stopping by!

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Vacation is Over; Back to Painting & Collecting


Detective John Kimble poses in front of John Jacob Astor Elementary School with his pet ferrets.

"Stop whining! You kids are soft. You lack discipline. Well, I've got news for you. You are mine now. You belong to me."

OK, so that's me and my dogs in the pic, but it is John Jacob Astor Elementary in Astoria, OR where parts of 1990's Kindergarten Cop were filmed. I'm not big on doing touristy type stuff, but every year when we pass through Astoria on our way to Seaside, I always think to myself "we should stop and take a look." This was the year. On our way back home, we stopped at the school, sat in the shade of a large tree out front, ate lunch and took some pictures.

We also hiked to Indian Beach at Ecola State Park, which was a 3-mile roundtrip and was quite beautiful, with some really nice vantage points looking out to the Pacific Ocean. According to IMDB, some scenes for Kindergarten Cop were filmed at Ecola, as were some scenes from Point Break ("I am an EFF...BEE...EYE agent!") subbing for Bells Beach, Australia.

What I'd really like to do is take a nice, long vacation in New Zealand and geek out on all the LOTR filming locations. Do you think they sell any "I got hammered at the Prancing Pony" t-shirts?

Now that summer is all but over, it's time to get back to business and resume painting. Too many projects are cluttering my workbench of shame, so let's see if I can hammer some of those out. I'll also be listing some old lead for sale on eBay soon, so keep your eyes peeled for that.

No comments: