This blog is about the world of gaming miniatures, as seen from my perspective. I've been collecting and painting for over 30 years now, and while my primary focus is miniatures for D&D, I also enjoy many other games that use minis, so we'll be covering those as well. Thanks for stopping by!

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Movie Review - Thor

Saw Thor last weekend with my oldest son, Mr. Frodo, and we thoroughly enjoyed it! I was first introduced to Thor via his comic book adventures in the mid to late 1970s, and like any good viking son, I wanted to be Thor when I grew up. I should note that we saw the old-school 2D show, not the fancy-pants 3D version.

The team did a good job depicting Thor's fall from grace and his subsequent adventures to regain his powers. Aussie Chris Hemsworth was a good choice as The God of Thunder, and pretty much nails the fallen-god-stuck-on-Earth-as-a-mortal without overdoing it. Natalie Portman is hot & brainy as Jane Foster, and manages to not totally swoon whenever Thor is flaunting his chiseled physique. I couldn't help but to notice that Hemsworth is starring in the upcoming remake of Red Dawn - don't screw this one up, dude. Wolverines!

I thought Stellan Skarsgard did a great job as Erik Selvig, but then again, I've enjoyed Skarsgard since he was Viktor Tupolev in The Hunt for Red October ("You arrogant ass. You've killed us!") Also worth note in a supporting role is Idris Elba as Heimdall, he of deep bass voice and stern gaze as the guardian of Asgard on the bridge Bifrost.

The only letdown comes from Mr. Frodo. He wanted to know why the frost giants didn't look like the iconic image from D&D. So not really a letdown, just more of a child's observation that stems from his seemingly endless lines of questions for his old man.

So I give Thor a solid 3 out of 5 Dragons. If you like comic book hero action flicks, flying hammers, Natalie Portman, and Norse mythology, give Thor a chance.

(Pictured is Reaper's take on Thor, Dark Heaven Legends #2701, sculpted by Tim Prow and wonderfully painted by Derek Schubert.)

No comments: