This blog is about the world of gaming miniatures, as seen from my perspective. I've been collecting and painting for over 30 years now, and while my primary focus is miniatures for D&D, I also enjoy many other games that use minis, so we'll be covering those as well. Thanks for stopping by!

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

My Son Paints Better Than I Do



My older son (9 going on 15) is an aspiring miniature painter, whose work I have previously shown here. Mr. Frodo, as he prefers to be called, loves to paint both metal fantasy minis as well as a growing collection of plastic GW minis ranging from Space Marines, Lizardmen, and Undead. He seems hell-bent on becoming a better painter than his old man, and will often ask me "Am I a better painter than you yet?" after finishing his latest project.

How do I answer that? Very carefully, of course (I can hear you fellow parents laughing). I tell him that he is an excellent painter, and that he is a better painter at his age than I was when I was around 10 or 12, and if he keeps practicing and learning, of course he'll be a better painter than me one day. He needs to take better care of his brushes, but I digress.

When I started painting, I had no teacher, no guides, no information, and not much to compare my work to, except for perhaps ads and pictures from Dragon magazine and the like. Frodo is lucky in the sense that he has me hanging around to show him the painting ropes. So far we've been trying to stick with the basics such as thinning your paints, brush control, basic coverage, washes, and drybrushing. I'll leave concepts such as color theory and blending for when he's a bit older.

Frodo recently finished up painting Reaper's Agramon the Pit Fiend. He went with the traditional red color scheme, augmented by a liberal wash of Baal Red and some orange highlights. I took some pics of Agramon and one of my oldest minis, Ral Partha's 01-003 Balrog, for a good old side-by-side comparison:




The results are obvious. Agramon's simple paint scheme is brought to life by the combination of washing & highlighting. My balrog looks downright one-dimensional and crude in comparison.









The one thing I hope Frodo does not pick up from me is my tendency to leave projects unfinished, along with a nasty case of procrastination.

4 comments:

Boric Glanduum said...

Give the son a pat on the head for me. Very nice work.

I wish I'd had someone around to help ME learn to paing at his age. Heck, I would have loved to have someone when I picked up my brushes again ten years ago.

Boric Glanduum said...

I apparently also need someone to help me learn how to spell "paint." (sigh)

TopKat said...

Thanks, Boric. I think he's having a lot of fun. The goal is for him to master the basics and slowly work towards the more advanced techniques. Now he's working on some undead critters, trying to decide if he wants to use red or green for the eye sockets.

Sjeng said...

At first I thought the smaller one was your son's mini, but the bigger one is! Good job!
One thing though if I may: it's a classic misstake, many many ppl make it: Fire is yellow at the base, and gets darker at the end. Not the other way around. ;)