This blog is about the world of gaming miniatures, as seen from my perspective. I've been collecting and painting for over 30 years now, and while my primary focus is miniatures for D&D, I also enjoy many other games that use minis, so we'll be covering those as well. Thanks for stopping by!

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

They Might Be (Painted) Giants

Back in mid-December, I was trying to finish up a batch of giants for our D&D session. I nearly finished three minis, close enough to where I felt OK bringing them to the session. Fast-forward three months to mid-March, and I finally made the time to finish those three plus two more for our latest D&D gathering.

Ral Partha Hill Giant 01-121Ral Partha Hill Giant 01-121

This is a Ral Partha Hill Giant, 01-121. Classic Tom Meier style, for sure. I painted mine up in a patchwork of blue, green, and yellow - my homage to the classic Citadel/Marauder giant. He is typically depicted on box art as wearing what looks like clothes made from a raid on the local jousting tournament or town fair. But then again, who makes giant bolts of cloth for giant clothing???

Ral Partha Stone Giant 11-403Ral Partha Stone Giant 11-403

Next up is a Ral Partha Stone Giant, 11-403. I toned down the highlights on his tunic compared to the Grenadier Stone Giant who follows. I'm going to need to hit the blade of his axe with some more gloss I think - it is supposed to look like polished obsidian, but the dullcoat nullified that.

Grenadier Stone Giant 3502Grenadier Stone Giant 3502

And here is his Grenadier brother from the Giant's Club line, 3502. This one is taller and bulkier than 11-403, but every tribe needs a chief, right? I think this is a great sculpt. To me, the Giant's Club giants are probably Grenadier's best giants, right up there with RP as far as I'm concerned. You can see how I went a little too heavy on highlighting his tunic, but it still looks good enough for the tabletop.

Grenadier Forest Giant 3504Grenadier Forest Giant 3504Grenadier Forest Giant 3504

Staying with the Giant's Club theme, this is Forest Giant, 3504. I'm glad his spear was cast separately, otherwise I don't know how I would have finished the right side of his face! Lots of personality on this guy, from his head to the little mushrooms growing next to the log he's standing on. The only thing I didn't like was his feet. I can't tell if it's just not a clean casting, or if it the way his feet were sculpted, but there's not a lot of definition there. Oh well, now I'm just nitpicking.

Overall, I'm very pleased with my latest efforts. My painting is getting better, but there's still a lot of room for improvement. That could happen if I keep making time to paint on a more regular basis, instead of painting here and there in mad flurries, usually right before our D&D sessions.

I just realized I didn't take a picture of the RP Troll (11-408) that I finished. I'll have to snap a shot of him, along with his three clones. Next time!

3 comments:

scottsz said...

Nothin' quite like a giant!

Unknown said...

You did a great job on the giants, sorry we didn't get to use them!

On another note, might want to share this with your other lead lovers!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17274186

Mike Monaco said...

They all look good. I probably love the Meier style most of all -- I don't have that guy but do have the taller, pot-bellied mountain(?) giant with a similar fairytale face.

I like your stone giants too. Very nice.