This blog is about the world of gaming miniatures, as seen from my perspective. I've been collecting and painting for over 30 years now, and while my primary focus is miniatures for D&D, I also enjoy many other games that use minis, so we'll be covering those as well. Thanks for stopping by!

Friday, September 6, 2013

Favorite Deity

I, like many of you, spent hours reading through Deities & Demigods. The illustrations, the descriptions, the powers, the follower-specific info - so much to digest! I have a particular affinity for the Norse and Finnish mythos, thanks to my Danish heritage. Then there's the Greek gods, I may have heard about one or two of them before in the books of my youth. And I find myself drawn to the Egyptian mythos, especially Bast, the cat goddess. I have always been a cat person, but don't tell my dogs - they wouldn't understand. In our 3.5 FR campaign, there's no shortage of info on the various gods of Faerun, and they play a vital role in the big picture.

So my pick is Garl Glittergold as described in Deities & Demigods (page 109). I have played a couple of gnomes here and there, and I always felt like Garl had my back, you know? Other than that, I really don't have a compelling reason to pick him other than I like his write-up, attributes, and of course the Jeff Dee illustration.

Runner-up would be Gruumsh (Mike at Swords & Dorkery and I seem to think alike on some issues). I really like this snippet from DDG: "To become a shaman of Gruumsh, an orc must pluck out his own left eye." Gah!

Honorable Mention goes to Blibdoolpoolp, mostly due to her nigh-unpronounceable name. A nekkid chick with a lobster head and claws? Eww. I really hate fighting kuo-toans. They are nasty, tricky, tough foes, so it's fitting their goddess is equally vile.

No comments: